Thursday, March 10, 2011

Knowing Your Purpose

Sometimes I feel lost. There are times when I forget about my goals. These past two weeks have been like being lost in the forest. I feel like I have so many paths that I can take but none of them is a clear path.

During my freshman year, I joined a bible study group in my floor, D-Wing Pomfret Hall. One day we had a discussion about purpose. We read a verse on the bible about the story Jonah and the Whale. Some of people argued in the group that the story is about god's purpose for us all. He stated that god has a purpose for all of us. Following his argument, I asked him if we could know our purpose. He answered that maybe we can when the time is right. Initially I had thought that this was okay. He was suggesting that we have a designated action that god had initially planned. I started thinking about all the people that I have interacted with in the previous years. Many of them are fighting for a cause and that they truly feel is their purpose in life. I always wondered, "When we have accomplished our presupposed 'purpose', are we ever done?". I asked this during our bible study, one of them answered that maybe that is not truly their purpose or that maybe god have more things stored for them. After that, I was more confused. The people in the bible study never truly agreed about the idea of purpose. There are a few things that I truly agreed with:
1. I believe in creating your own destiny. Anyone can become whoever they want to be.
2. We should have the freedom to choose.

Talking to people is a great way of finding your way back. I am grateful that I have a very strong support system from friends and family. The closest people I know always have very wise things to say. By talking to them,  I had remembered something that I have always known:
"Education goes first."

Even with the chaos of the college life, a student must know what is important. It is very to get lost in all the drama and events. I'm glad I have a light to follow when I am lost in the dark.


Here is a video that I found very inspiring.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts